Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Drug Testing: Is it Really Necessary in the Workplace?


You know I think it's human nature for people to believe the best about people. I especially think this is true for smaller businesses who have few employees and who have personally interviewed their employees. These employers have formed an opinion and by hiring the person showed they have trust in that employee. But can you really tell a book by it's cover? Can you really tell if a person does or doesn't do drugs by your interview and gut instinct?

I ask this because it's been my personal experience as the owner of a drug testing business that you cannot judge a book by its cover. Take this for example: I recently did an onsite testing with an office of about 25 people. This was a reputable business with professional looking employees. As we went in and set up for this random drug test of 25 employees, literally 5 employees went to the supervisor and admitted they had recently used marijuana or methamphetamine. That's one in five employees, folks, who admitted drug use. Even I was surprised by that number. So, if you think you can tell by looking at someone whether or not they use, I say, don't judge a book by its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment